Do you need a license to apply Natural products in Arizona, Kansas, Maryland, Nebraska, and New Hampshire?

Stop the Bites! is formulated and intended for use by Lawn Care and Pest Control Professionals. 

Friday Five #7. Each week we are getting closer to knowing the answer for every state. If you are seeing this blog series for the first time, I am in the process of answering our most frequently asked question: “Do I need a license to commercially apply 25(b) -natural products- in my state?” Most of the time, the answer is yes. However, last week there was a curveball and Illinois did not require a license! This week, another state joins Illinois and New Jersey in not requiring a pest control license. Check out who it is! 

If your state isn’t listed in this blog, visit our up-to-date list of states’ requirements!

Remember that your state and local regulators are the only people who can give you the definitive correct answer as to which license is required. Use this blog and our webpage as guidance to help you investigate your relevant laws, regulations, and rules. 


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Arizona? 

Yes, you do. The State of Arizona says that any work in the pest control field requires a license, regardless if it is a natural product or not. This certified applicator license would need to be issued under the Industrial and Institutional category. The Industrial and Institutional category is defined as pest management in or about a residential or other structure excluding anti-microbial pest management, fungi inspection, or pest management covered by another certification category. This includes public health pest management such as adult mosquitos.

To see Arizona’s Pest Management FAQ’s, click here


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Kansas? 

You will need a license in Kansas as well. The Kansas Pesticide Law requires individuals to become certified as commercial applicators and to obtain a pesticide business license before applying pesticides to someone else’s property for compensation.  This information is stated on the webpage, specifically on the page Pesticide Business.

For a more detailed answer, check out the Kansas Pesticide Law.


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Maryland? 

Maryland does require a pest control license, even for 25(b) product applications. You must get a Certified Applicator’s license along with a Business license underneath Category 8; Public Health & Mosquito Control (if you are applying mosquito treatment). 

Check out the Pesticide Applicator Certification and Business Licensing Requirements for the state of Maryland. Then, if you have more questions, check out this page on the Maryland Department of Agriculture’s page for more information. 


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Nebraska? 

Nope, not in Nebraska! According to the Nebraska Department of Agriculture, 25(b) exempt products are still considered pesticides, so they are subject to interpretation for certified applicator licensing. For purposes of mosquito control, this license would come under Category 9; Public health pest vectors. A license is only required for restricted use pesticides (not 25(b) products) or if the practice includes wide area applications for political subdivisions of the state. If you are doing 25(b) commercial applications to private properties, one property at a time, it would not require certification. 

For everything you need to know about Pesticides in Nebraska, visit this page

New Hampshire

Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in New Hampshire? 

No news in New Hampshire. The state does require you to have a pest control license regardless of the type of pesticide being applied. 

For more information on Commercial Applicator Licensing in New Hampshire, click here.

Share your thoughts on these states’ requirements, or add any questions/comments in the comments section below! Also, feel free to let us know if you see any errors in factual information. 

Thanks for following the Friday Five. See you again next week! 

Check out our webpage for our up-to-date list of each state’s license requirements!

Share this post

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts
Scroll to Top