Do you need a license to apply Natural products in Hawaii, Illinois, Montana, Rhode Island, and Texas?

Stop the Bites! is formulated and intended for use by Lawn Care and Pest Control Professionals. 

Happy Friday! If you’ve been following along in our Friday Five series, you have probably noticed that almost all of the states require a pest control license in order to commercially apply any pesticide, including 25(b) products. Well, this week there may be a curveball. There is a curveball. Keep reading to find out which state threw it.

Please understand that your state and local regulators are the only people who can give you the definitive correct answer as to which license is required. Use this blog and our webpage as guidance to help you investigate your relevant laws, regulations, and rules. 


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Hawaii? 

The Aloha State does require that you have a license in order to apply pesticides, regardless of the type of product. The Pest Control Board issues licenses for pest control operators and pest control field representatives. A pest control operator is any person who personally, or through others, offers to undertake or practices pest control. A pest control field representative is any individual who is licensed by the board to secure pest control work, identify infestations, make inspections, submit bids, or sign contracts on behalf of a licensed operator.

If you plan on participating in any of the above for hire in Hawaii, you need a license. For a detailed explanation, check out the HAR 16-94-66 – the requirements of federal and state pesticides laws. For details on requirements and instructions on getting your license, click here! For an application form and more information on pursuing your license, visit this page on the Hawaii Pest Control Board’s website.


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Illinois? 

It’s Illinois. This state threw the curveball in this week’s Friday Five. In Illinois (along with New Jersey thus far), you do not need a license to commercially apply 25(b) products! If you are applying restricted-use pesticides, you need a license, but 25(b) products do not require a license. 

To view the full act and its rules, check out the Illinois Pesticide Act. For questions and contact information, head to the bottom of this page on the Illinois Dep. of Agriculture’s website.  


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Montana? 

Yes. In the state of Montana, you will need to have a Commercial Applicator’s license in order to apply any pesticide for hire. That license will need to be issued under Category 34 – Ornamental and Turf pest control. 

For all the information you need to know on obtaining your license in Montana, visit this page

Rhode Island

Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Rhode Island? 

Rhode Island says yes. Even a 25(b) exempt product application must be completed by a licensed applicator. If any product is being applied to treat pests on someone else’s property, you will need a license. 

For info on how to obtain your license and to visit the RI DEM website, click here. To see detailed information on the requirements, check out the Rhode Island Pesticide Rules and Regulations


Do I need a license to apply 25(b) – Natural products – for commercial services in Texas? 

Everything’s bigger in Texas, but there’s no big surprise here. If you will be applying any pesticide for a fee, then you will need a license. To apply Stop the Bites! you would need a Structural Pest Control Certified Commercial Applicator License. That license will need to be issued in Category 1 – Pest Control. 

The State of Texas has a great website with all the information you need to know. Check out the Structural Pest Control Service page for any questions you might have. 

Share your thoughts on these states’ requirements, or add any questions/comments in the comments section below! Also, feel free to let us know if you see any errors in factual information. 

Thanks for following the Friday Five. See you again next week! 

Check out our webpage for our up-to-date list of each state’s license requirements!

Share this post

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts
Scroll to Top